Taking Down the Vashon State Bank to make room for People's National Bank
Note: You must have Microsoft Excel 2007 or above installed on your computer to view this file. Earlier versions may not respond
NOTES FOR 1970 VASHON-MAURY ISLAND FEDERAL CENSUS DATA
This file presents summary information from the 1970 U.S. Census for Vashon-Maury Island. What is offered is for all of Vashon-Maury Island, identified as the Vashon Island Division. More 1970 Census data may be available than is provided on the table included in this website.
In 1970, the Census reference day was April 1, 1970. For this survey, the Census Bureau mailed out Census questionnaires which allowed those responding to self-report information. Approximately 60% of the U.S. population living in urban areas were asked to mail back their completed forms. The other 40% were asked to hold onto their completed forms for pick-up by a Census Enumerator. It is assumed Vashon-Maury Island fell into the latter group.
At some point after the 1940 Census, the Bureau instituted a system which sub-divided geographic areas into Census Tracts, however, these were defined as having a minimum population of 3000. In 1970, Vashon-Maury Island barely met this standard. Additionally, at some point, the Census Bureau initiated a system of smaller geographic sub-divisions titled Census Blocks. The standard for these was at least 100 people, and the geographical areas were defined by street names. It is unknown whether Vashon-Maury Island was sub-divided into Census Blocks, and if so, whether the Census Bureau provided information for these geographic areas. As of February, 2014, further research is underway to answer these questions. If additional detailed data for Vashon-Maury Island from the 1970 Census can be located, it will be provided on this Census Project website.
Published 1970 Census reports from the Census Bureau are available through the following website: http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. These publications do not provide any information specific to Vashon-Maury Island. Details on how the 1970 Census was conducted and changes from previous Censuses can be found at: https://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/overview/. Similar information for every U.S. Census is provided at this location.
Specific data runs for Vashon-Maury Island 1970 Census information may be requested from the National Historical Geographic Information System, administered by the University of Minnesota Population Center (funded by the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health). They may be reached at: https://www.nhgis.org/.
Some 1970 Census data may also be available through The National Archives, Seattle Office of the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration. They are located at 6125 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115, 206-336-5112., email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
March 29, 2014
Copyright 2013. All Rights Reserved.