Zarth's Island Garage
Note: You must have Microsoft Excel 2007 or above installed on your computer to view this file. Earlier versions may not respond.
NOTES FOR 1930 VASHON-MAURY ISLAND FEDERAL CENSUS DATA
This file presents information from the 1930 U.S. Census for Vashon-Maury Island which has been transcribed from hand-written Census Enumerator notes. Images of these original documents can be viewed at locations of the National Archives and Records Administration (www.archives.gov).
Original Census Enumeration Records may also be viewed through the commercial site Ancestry.com, which provides on-line access to searchable indexed images. As of January, 2014, the King County Library System, through its Ancestry Library Edition, provides free access to Ancestry.com. This on-line resource is only viewable at a King County Library building, such as the Vashon Library.
The transcription has tried to stay as true to the original as possible including symbols, numbers or notes. Difficulty in reading some of the handwriting may have resulted in copying errors. A “?” has been inserted where the transcriber of these Census Enumeration Records was unable to clearly read what was written and has provided the best interpretation possible.
The information on this table is listed in the order provided in Census Enumeration Records, which may relate to the geographic order in which it was collected. A blank cell indicates no information was provided on the Census Enumeration Record. Where symbols or other marks were entered (e.g., “/” or “+”), the transcription has tried to reproduce this written information as accurately as possible. The meaning of these entries is unexplained in the Records.
Information in the 1930 Census relates to the 12 months from April 1, 1929-March 30, 1930. The actual Census reference day was April 1, 1930. A total of 2,798 individuals were enumerated.
The 1930 Vashon-Maury Island Census subdivided the area into nine geographic precincts: Burton, Cove, Dockton, Dolphin, Island, Lisabuela, Maury, Quartermaster, and Vashon. The data on the table notes Census precinct location for each entry.
Census information is collected by household. For each household, there is a designated “head,” and other members are identified per their relationship to that “head” (for example, “wife,” or “son”). There were 886 separate households listed in the 1930 Census.
Notes Related to Information in the Table
- All column headings are as provided in Census Enumeration Records with the exception of the following:
- Column “Coded Household Number” was created by the researchers as a way to note the individual members of each household group. These household groups are numbered in consecutive order as they were listed on Census Enumeration Records. For example, household # 1 is headed by James H. Quinlan. There are no other individuals in this household. Household # 2 is headed by Digby E. Williams and there are five other members in this household.
- Column “Estimated Birth Year” was calculated based on the year the Census was taken and the information provided concerning age.
- Column “Family Number” provides information directly from the Census Enumeration Records and does not match the numbers in the “Coded Household Number” column.
- Column “House Number (In Cities or Towns)” is on the Census Enumeration Record, but no information is provided in that column for any Vashon-Maury Island Census precincts.
Column Notes (provided by the Census Bureau)
Relationship: “H” after relationship indicates the home-maker in each family.
Naturalization: “Na” = naturalized; “Pa” = first papers; “Al” = alien.
Class of Worker: “E” = employer; “W” = wage or salary worker; “O” = working on own account; “NP” = unpaid worker, member of the family.
What War or Expedition: “WW” = World War; “sp” = Spanish-American War; “Civ” = Civil War; “Phil” = Philippine Insurrection; “Box” = Boxer Rebellion; “Mex” = Mexican Expedition.Questions Only Asked of Heads of Family:
Home owned or rentedQuestion Only Asked of Those Married
Value of home if owned, or monthly rental if rented
Does this family live on a farm
Age at first marriageQuestions Only Asked of Those Ten Years of Age or Over
Whether able to read and writeQuestion Only Asked of Males 21 Years of Age or Over
Whether able to speak English
Whether a veteran of US military or naval forcesQuestions Only Asked of Those Foreign Born
Language spoken in home before coming to the United States
Year of immigration to the US
March 30, 2014