Note: You must have Microsoft Excel 2007 or above installed on your computer to view this file. Earlier versions may not respond.
NOTES FOR 1920 VASHON-MAURY ISLAND CENSUS DATA
This file presents information from the 1920 U.S. Census for Vashon-Maury Island which has been transcribed from hand-written Census Enumerator notes. Images of these original documents can be viewed at locations of the National Archives and Records Administration (www.archives.gov).
Original Census Enumeration Records may also be viewed through the commercial site Ancestry.com, which provides on-line access to searchable indexed images. As of January, 2014, the King County Library System, through its Ancestry Library Edition, provides free access to Ancestry.com. This on-line resource is only viewable at a King County Library building, such as the Vashon Library.
The transcription has tried to stay as true to the original as possible including symbols, numbers or notes. Difficulty in reading some of the handwriting may have resulted in copying errors. A “?” has been inserted where the transcriber of these Census Enumeration Records was unable to clearly read what was written and has provided the best interpretation possible.
The information on this table is listed in the order provided in Census Enumeration Records, which may relate to the geographic order in which it was collected. A blank cell indicates no information was provided on the Census Enumeration Record. Where symbols or other marks were entered (e.g., “/” or “+”), the transcription has tried to reproduce this written information as accurately as possible. The meaning of these entries is unexplained in the Records.
Information in the 1920 Census relates to the 12 months from January 1, 1919-December 31, 1919. The actual Census reference day was January 1, 1920. A total of 2,801 individuals were enumerated.
The 1920 Vashon-Maury Island Census subdivided the area into nine geographic precincts: Burton, Cove, Dockton, Dolphin, Island, Lisabuela, Maury, Quartermaster and Vashon. The data on the table notes Census precinct location for each entry.
Census information is collected by household. For each household, there is a designated “head,” and other members are identified per their relationship to that “head” (for example, “wife,” or “son”). There were 842 separate households listed in the 1920 Census.
Census forms for 1920 allowed for the entering of characteristics data specific to the Indian (Native American) population; however no such information was entered for any individuals living on VMI during this Census year.
Notes Related to Information in the Table
- All column headings are as provided in Census Enumeration Records with the exception of the following:
- Column “Coded Household Number” was created by the researchers as a way to note the individual members of each household group. These household groups are numbered in consecutive order as they were listed on Census Enumeration Records. For example, household # 1 is headed by Edson A. Lamoreux. The individuals in his household include Lydia C. Lamoreux, wife; Vernon V. Lamoreux, son; Harvey Lamoreux, son; Eathan A. Lamoreux, son; Gladys E. Lamoreux, daughter; Vera I. Lamoreux, daughter; Rita Lamoreux, daughter; and Kenneth L. Lamoreux, son. Household # 2 is headed by Joseph A. Lindstrom, and there is one other member in this household.
- Column “Estimated Birth Year” was calculated based on the year the Census was taken and the information provided concerning age.
- Column “Family Number” provides information directly from the Census Enumeration Records and does not match the numbers in the “Coded Household Number” column.
- Census forms for 1920 allowed for the entering of characteristics data specific to the Indian (Native American) population; however, no such data were entered concerning the Indian (Native American) population on Vashon-Maury Island.
April 5, 2014